[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Encyclopedia Infernalis • View topic - New Game+

New Game+

Read this forum to see what games are available, and to find out how to join them.

New Game+

Postby Lantyssa » March 15th, 2016, 6:57 pm

Lantyssa
Site Admin

Re: New Game+

Postby goatkiller666 » March 15th, 2016, 7:56 pm

What's wrong with GURPS? Or the WoD D&D port? (That's a trick question... the D20 port for WoD was... like buying tickets to show up at the race track so you can intentionally watch a 30 car pile-up. All the cars just drive straight into a cliff face. After the 23rd car, the top of the cliff falls down on the burning cars, and the last seven crash into fresh boulders.)
goatkiller666
Site Admin

Postby GM Gavin » March 15th, 2016, 8:00 pm

I'll have a think about a character Aisling and send you a PM.
GM Gavin
Game Master

Postby goatkiller666 » March 15th, 2016, 8:04 pm

In true Michael Bay fashion, after the last car finishes crashing, there's one burning wheel that rolls backwards up the course. Only one of the drivers thought to hit his ejector seat first, which we discover as the camera follows the burning wheel backwards, and there's Bruce Willis or Will Smith walking forward, with the parachute still billowing behind him.

I mean, sure... it's glorious, but it's the opposite of watching a good race. It's just about taking something awesome and crushing it until it's flaming wreckage.
goatkiller666
Site Admin

Postby Lantyssa » March 15th, 2016, 8:30 pm

Is that interest or not?

GURPS is ridiculously complicated. d20 is fun for making ever-increasing power characters, but I want something more for just having fun. (Plus it's a bitch to shoe-horn other games into it.)

Shadowrun was originally going to be d10 system like WoD until they realized everyone has d6s from board games.
Lantyssa
Site Admin

Postby Timur » March 16th, 2016, 4:52 pm

I will have a think and PM you :D

I should play someone who is nothing like Timur, San, Arthur or Kitty (for those of you who know the last two).

What do people think I should play?
Timur
Gamer

Postby Lantyssa » March 16th, 2016, 5:40 pm

Well, I'm not sure it's going to be as extensive a campaign as Gavin's since it's somewhat intended as a test. It may well evolve beyond that since I'll come up with ideas along the way, and I still have a metaplot in mind to make it interesting enough that it lasts a bit. I'm not sure of the starting area yet, though I may go with Houston as it's familiar and large enough to fit a whole bunch of different groups together. The very SURFACE of the setting is going to feel like Shadowrun, but there will be deeper undercurrents depending upon who your characters are.

Likewise, part of the fun is picking a concept you like and seeing if we can make the system fit. Or break it. ;) Either way, if you decide you want to be, say, an elf I can help you determine if you want to be a meta-human Shadowrun elf or someone who came through a magic portal, or the companion of a wandering Amberite, etc.

For everyone:

To summarize the point table for those that aren't familiar with Shadowrun, you have five priorities. You match one of each to a column. More powerful races will have some innate bonuses and it also determines access to powers. Attributes is the most likely to get tweaked, with a few bonus points coming from the racial selection. (I may also collapse Divine/Mythical, leaving two Human slots. It'll provide a bit more umph.)

Point expenditure will be similar to Vampire and Werewolf. There will not be merits and flaws, per se, but you can duplicate some of them as traits to make you stand out. Depending upon the severity I'll consider if there needs to be compensation, but don't expect it.
Lantyssa
Site Admin

Postby goatkiller666 » March 17th, 2016, 9:45 am

Yes, that's interest. And I was quite pleased with Warden's throw-together test game. (I say that to support the premise that a test game can still be quite fun.) Also, he was handing out XP like it was going out of style. That's always a good time.

Confirm please: vampires were around even before magic came back in 2016.
goatkiller666
Site Admin

Postby Timur » March 17th, 2016, 10:05 am

A test game sounds great, even if it might no last that long, and obviously rules will likely be tweaked as it goes along. Experimentation is fun.
Timur
Gamer

Postby goatkiller666 » March 17th, 2016, 10:49 am

Lantyssa, you should ping me via the instant messages. Perhaps even the Facebooks messaging.

I have a vague idea but I'm not sure how it would fit.
goatkiller666
Site Admin

Postby Lantyssa » March 17th, 2016, 2:17 pm

Kindred have been around for a long time. Clans will mostly be the same though I'll have to think on where they stand since being outed. To make matters complicated though, HMHVV popped up after the Awakening and the two get confused a lot.

I'm changing how the gen/age structure works a bit though, so an older vampire is likely out of the question lest you've been in full torpor a really long time.
Lantyssa
Site Admin

Postby GM Gavin » March 21st, 2016, 10:30 am

Hopefully get a character idea to you later today Lantyssa. I've not been able to think that much with this head cold I've had, but it's clearing now so should have something to you later.
GM Gavin
Game Master

Postby Lantyssa » March 21st, 2016, 2:03 pm

That's fine. There's plenty of time since the whole system is still in development and then I'll have world-building on top of it.
Lantyssa
Site Admin

Postby goatkiller666 » March 21st, 2016, 5:23 pm

So, do we know about stuff like which city we're in, etc. Knowing what industries are strong here would help me fit my character into the scenery.
goatkiller666
Site Admin

Postby Lantyssa » March 21st, 2016, 8:45 pm

I'm going to declare Houston. Drawing up the list of well-known companies is one of the things I'm working on right now. There's room for more though, they just may not be major global players.
Lantyssa
Site Admin

Postby Lantyssa » March 21st, 2016, 9:43 pm

A very quick timeline for people to consider ideas:

2048: Current year. CAS territory in Houston.
2034: CAS states secede from UCAS
2030: Remaining Canadian Territories merge with the UCAS
2021: Goblinization - Orks and Trolls spontaneously awaken throughout the world; utter chaos results
2022: VITAS 2 kills another 10% of the world's population
2021: The Red Star reaches apogee; Gehenna/Armageddon/Ragnarok is at its peak - turns out it's an Era thing
2018: Great Ghost War where Native Americans reclaim much of North America
2015: Mexico becomes Azatlan
2014: Both Tir na nOg and the Native American Nations are founded in what was once Ireland and North America
2011: UGE - Elves and Dwarves are suddenly born to human parents; Unusual creatures start appearing
2011: The Red Star appears - Only awakened can see it.
2010: VITAS 1 wipes out 450 million people
2009: Formation of the SOX zone in Europe after nuclear catastrophe in France
2001: Shiawase Decision grants corps extranationality status
1999: Seretech Decision grants corps the right to private armies

This is mostly based on SR lore. I have to fit others in as appropriate, but things like the Kindred being outed happens in 2021.

References, though even I have only briefly looked them over at this point:

http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/United_ ... can_States
http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Confede ... can_States
http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Texas
http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Houston
http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowrun_history
Lantyssa
Site Admin

Postby goatkiller666 » March 22nd, 2016, 5:30 am

Okay, and if we add in the oWoD stuff as well, the Sabbat vs. Camarilla wars were ongoing, until the Red Star reached apogee.

Do those organizations mean anything at this point? The Antediluvians should have woken up along with UGE. For all we know, their Methuselahs could have initiated Seretech and Shiawase in anticipation of their sires awakening.
goatkiller666
Site Admin

Postby Lantyssa » March 22nd, 2016, 5:41 am

I'll add in the longer history to the game doc. No Kindred Antediluvians made an appearance. The Thin Bloods were people infected by HMHVV virus. Dragons were the Antediluvians. Mostly the prophecies were a crock and vamps tried to wedge whatever they could to fit. The real Gehenna was the reshaping of Kindred society by the emergence of mutahumans, awakened creatures, and their outing to the world at large. Of course scholars and conspiracy theorists debate all this...
Lantyssa
Site Admin

Postby goatkiller666 » March 22nd, 2016, 5:55 am

Does that mean that the HMHVV is related to the Kindred's existence, too?

I like the idea of vampires following this whole mythos of Caine and the Antediluvians, and it was all fake. Some ancient Malkavian's prank.

"The greatest lie the devil ever told was that he did not exist."

"The greatest like that Caine ever told was that he did exist."
goatkiller666
Site Admin

Postby Lantyssa » March 22nd, 2016, 2:20 pm

It is conceivable that the Kindred form of vampirism is HMHVV-0. Scientists aren't sure yet, but then the first two strains are just recently isolated.
Lantyssa
Site Admin

Postby GM Gavin » March 22nd, 2016, 3:15 pm

Note I know very little about WoD or Shadowrun history so a little summary of stuff would be nice.
GM Gavin
Game Master

Postby Lantyssa » March 22nd, 2016, 4:04 pm

I'm trying to get it into the flavor section of the game rules. It's just a lot to write and hit the salient points.

Essentially though, in Shadowrun there have been several viruses out there. VITAS 1 & 2 killed about 10% of the world's population each. HMHVV is the Human-Metahuman Vampiric Virus. It is a magically active retrovirus that re-writes gene expression to turn the victims into something resembling traditional vampires and other undead. A second strain turns victims into savage beasts much like the werewolves of lore. Most victims suffer degraded mental capacity, and being a virus, can be passed on.

Kindred of course have been around for centuries, and haven't required a high-magic environment to exist. While anomalies happen, their existence wouldn't normally be attributed to an HMHVV strain. Theories, however, abound.
Lantyssa
Site Admin

Postby goatkiller666 » March 24th, 2016, 3:22 pm

goatkiller666
Site Admin

Postby Lantyssa » April 5th, 2016, 10:16 pm

Newest version

Version 0.3 is up. I have a lot more in place, though I still need to get several systems written up including basics, so don't despair as I am working on it.

Feel free to ask questions though.

- I'm focusing on the humans and demi-humans first now
- Magicians and adepts will be compatible, I just haven't written down adept stuff
- Cross-system stuff will be possible in some cases, though the last ideas from most of you were more Shadowrun than other systems
Lantyssa
Site Admin

Postby goatkiller666 » August 14th, 2016, 6:48 am

While we should probably delete old Haroldtaug's account, since he is most likely a bot, he did remind me that you had talked about running a new game.

How's that going? We ready to roll up some new characters?
goatkiller666
Site Admin

Return to Announcements